Join 420 independent bookstores in 48 states for parties, author readings, in-store events, and exclusive day-of merchandise.
Bookstore Day marks its second year of celebrating independent bookstores nationwide on April 30th, with literary parties around the country.
We will be celebrating with a coloring party for grown-ups. From 11am – 2pm, coloring pages and supplies will be provided, or you can bring your own. There will be hot cocoa and eclairs. Plus, there will be drawings for free coloring books, as well as free book giveaways.
We are proud to support the joys of reading by donating 13% of all adult book sales from this event to our local library, the Hamilton Public Library.
We will also offer exclusive day-of merchandise created especially for Independent Bookstore Day by major publishers and authors. Since its inception in 2014, more than 120 authors have demonstrated their support for independent bookstores by donating work for Bookstore Day.
The second annual National Independent Bookstore Day is sponsored in part by Penguin Random House, Ingram, and The American Booksellers Association. Last year participating bookstores saw an average increase in sales of 70% on Independent Bookstore Day. “We had a marvelous Independent Bookstore Day—5.5 times the sales from last year on this date. But the best part was the many customers who came in to celebrate!” said John Paul from Letterpress Books in Portland, Maine.
“I love Bookstore Day because it is a large-scale communal event that joyously celebrates the literary ecosystem and shows how symbiotic the relationship is between readers, writers, and bookstores is, and how essential they all are in sustaining the contemporary written word,” noted Lauren Groff, 2016 Bookstore Day Author Ambassador. Groff is the author of Fates and Furies, Arcadia, Delicate Edible Birds, and The Monsters of Templeton.
Independent Bookstore Day is proud to announce a selection of exclusive books and art pieces for Bookstore Day 2016. These limited edition, unique items will be available only at participating IBD bookstores, on April 30. Not before. Not online. And not in chain stores.
Children’s items include:
● Raymie Nightingale: A special signed & numbered edition of the new novel by two-time Newbery Award winner Kate DiCamillo. Includes a special note from Kate.
● Draw Me!: Includes step-by-step instructions on how to draw characters like Mo Willem’s Pigeon, Curious George, Fly Guy, and many more.
● Neil Gaiman Coloring Book: This book features colorable illustrations by Chris Riddell from Neil Gaiman’s Coraline; The Graveyard Book, and Fortunately, the Milk.
● Curious George® plush doll: This collectable Curious George® plush doll sports a t-shirt that reads READ TO ME on the front and the IBD logo on the back.
Adult items include
● Literary Tea Towels: This set of two 100% cotton flour sack tea towels feature quotes on reading from David Mitchell and Anna Quindlen.
● Bookstore Cats Pouch: This handy 100% cotton canvas zippered pouch was designed by Out of Print and featuring portraits of real bookstore cats.