Home - Campus Life - Career Services for Students - Career Services
Career Services

Claire Binder ’17 Markets for Way.com

By Contributing Writer on December 5, 2015
Claire Binder '17

Claire Binder ’17 interned in Silicon Valley for a growing start up.

My internship was at an emerging internet company and start-up based in Silicon Valley, called way.com. An acronym for “What’s Around You,” Way is an online service marketplace, through which customers can purchase dining, parking, and tickets for competitive prices (“the Amazon of services”).

At Way.com, I worked as the Market Strategy Intern. My main responsibility was to strategize efforts to grow its customer base and visibility, particularly in its Dining department. My main project was to conduct market research on Way’s industry competitors, create a matrix to define their differences, and analyze the data for future marketing strategy.

Perhaps the most exciting part of my internship was actually on my last day; I had the privileged opportunity of presenting my research to the co-founders and vice president of the company, in addition to my own strategic plan to guide future allocations of resources and funding. I was humbled to learn that my efforts were well-received and the founders were very impressed with my work.

Working at Way was one of the most valuable experiences I have ever had. Not only did I gain important business experience within the marketing thread, but I also developed a better understanding of the other vital aspects of a company. At a start-up like Way, I had my main job, but also assumed the responsibility of wearing many other hats. I performed data analysis, worked on projects in the accounting department, and even did sales calls, all of which gave me important insight into how a company runs. A start-up like Way gave me diversified experience, something I may not have gained in other more conventional companies. I am truly thankful for this opportunity and see its value in any of my future endeavors.