Home - Campus Life - Career Services for Students - Career Services
Career Services

Anthony DeRose ’18 interns in King’s County Supreme Court

By Contributing Writer on January 9, 2018

Anthony DeRose '18

I interned for the Chief Administrative Judge for the Supreme Court of King’s County, Criminal Term. I worked closely with my judge, Hon. Matthew D’Emic, as well as Karen Kleinberg, the principal law clerk for Judge D’Emic’s chambers. I helped analyze grand jury minutes and case files to determine whether there was sufficient evidence and testimony to fit the appropriate statutes and crimes that were being charged to defendants. I took full advantage of the Court’s internship program in visiting other judge’s court rooms and sitting in on their own criminal trials.

My summer experience this summer confirmed and validated my passion for law, going to law school, and working in the legal field thereafter. I enjoyed working in the criminal justice system, as well as analyzing evidence to determine their legal sufficiency. I also sharpened my skills to read closely, especially when analyzing grand jury minutes to determine whether a crime is appropriate to fit a particular statute.