Home - Campus Life - Career Services for Students - Career Services
Career Services

Audrey Aspegren ’19 interns at the U.S. Department of State

By Chelsea Lehmann on April 10, 2019

This summer, I had the opportunity to intern at the U.S. Department of State in Washington DC. I worked in the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, in the Office of East Asia and the Pacific.

I received a security clearance in order to perform my daily responsibilities in the office, which were primarily research-based and focused on China. I also got to participate in several State Department events on a variety of different topics, including working the State Departments first ever International Religious Freedom Ministerial.  My favorite part of my internship was getting to know the other people in my office. This internship allowed me to get firsthand exposure to different career paths and observe government work from the inside. I learned more about what day-to-day life is like as part of the Civil Service as a Foreign Service Officer.

My time in DC not only helped me hone several skills such as writing, critical thinking, and analysis; but it also provided me with valuable experience as I continue to determine my career path. This internship will additionally help me determine how I want to engage with important human rights issues going forward.