Home - Campus Life - Career Services for Students - Career Services
Career Services

Eli Cousin ’20 interns for Senator Chuck Schumer

By Chelsea Lehmann on April 15, 2019

This summer I had the privilege of working as a press intern for Senator Charles E. Schumer in Washington, D.C. Senator Schumer’s unique role as not only the senior Senator from New York, but also as the United States Senate Minority Leader, allowed me to gain exposure to both state-wide and national governance. My primary tasks as an intern for Senator Schumer’s press team consisted of compiling daily news-clips packets, drafting and revising press releases and talking-point memos, and taking calls from local and national reporters. I also regularly attended press conferences and events at which Senator Schumer and other members of congress spoke.

My time on Capitol Hill provided a first-hand look into the United States political process, as well as some of the many nuances of political communications. With Senator Schumer’s dual role, I had the opportunity to engage with the broader Democratic caucus, while simultaneously being reminded that all politics is local. Working closely with members of the press team, such as the deputy press secretary, provided valuable insight into the different roles that staffers play on the Hill and the many different ways the policies may be achieved and promoted. It was an honor to intern for Senator Schumer and work alongside a staff which remains dedicated to using our political process forthe betterment of our nation.