Home - Campus Life - Volunteerism - Max A. Shacknai Center COVE - Max A Shacknai COVE News
Max A Shacknai COVE News

Alternative Break to the Dominican Republic

By esmith on October 29, 2013

Three Colgate students playing with Dominican children in a school play yard

Reflection by Faith Benson, Class of 2014

I’m frequently asked how I knew Colgate was the right school for me..I’ve known since I was little that Colgate was where I wanted to be, and never really considered going to a different school; however, that doesn’t mean that I felt at home at here right away. In fact, it took me until halfway through my sophomore year to fall into my place here at Colgate. The turnaround moment for me was an alternative break trip with the COVE that winter to the Dominican Republic.
Traveling with the COVE was unlike anything I had ever done before. I was thrown on a bus, then a plane, then a vehicle that looked like the van from Scooby Doo, and finally carted up a mountain in the back of a pick-up truck with a group of people I barely knew. I spent the next ten days with this ragtag crew leading a youth retreat, building latrines, and painting murals across Neyba.