Home - Academics - Fellowships & Scholarships - Fellowships & Scholarships Updates
Fellowships & Scholarships Updates

Message from Steve Wright, Interim Assistant Dean for Fellowships Advising

By Aaron Solle on April 19, 2018

I’m thrilled to be back at Colgate since the end of February with the Office of National Fellowships and Scholarships (ONFS). Everyone at Colgate has been so warm and welcoming, and I’ve been excited to meet with many students individually as well as their faculty and staff mentors.

At Colgate in the 2012-2013 academic year, I was honored to be in virtually the same role with ONFS and to also direct the Alumni Memorial Scholars (AMS) program. After Colgate, I spent three years in Washington, DC helping mostly undergraduate students at George Washington University with national fellowships and undergraduate research; and learning about some of the amazing opportunities and resources in our national and international capital.

Since being back with ONFS, I’ve tried to primarily focus on encouraging students to prepare and apply for nationally competitive fellowships in the upcoming academic year, 2018-2019, and to help students gain readiness to reach for these often unique opportunities. Further, I’ve been very happy to meet the students who have come to the interest and groups meetings so far; for: the Watson Fellowship, the Fulbright Scholarship, and the University Scholars program.

In general, I feel there are important reasons to consider pursuing national fellowships. First, they can be a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gain extraordinary academic or professional experience. Second, they are often the chance to study abroad or study further abroad. Third, national fellowships may allow you to explore career and academic directions in highly specialized ways and environments. Last, they often serve as crucial steppingstones to one’s next experience – graduate school or the World of Work.

It is a myth, I feel, that national fellowships are only for graduating seniors and graduate students; and it is a myth that the number of opportunities is very limited. For instance, there is a Fulbright to the UK especially for first and second-year students; and first and second years can also apply to fellowships such as: the Boren Scholarship, the Critical Language Scholarship and the German Educational Exchange (the DAAD); and many more. In fact, a diversity of national fellowships exists, and if students pursue them in persistent and concerted ways, their efforts and fellowship plans will be amply rewarded.

Please feel free to reach out to me for a meeting; or to stop by 105 McGregory to arrange one or to just say hello.  My direct email address is swright@colgate.edu; and the phone number to reach me is: 315-228-6224.

I look forward to meeting you!