Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

Fareeza Islam’14: Traveling outside of the comfort zone

By Timmera Whaley'15 on November 14, 2013
Fareeza Islam '14 in Australia

Fareeza Islam ’14

Hometown:

Schenectady, NY

Major:

Environmental Studies
Psychology

Scholarships/Honorable Recognition:

Distinguished Leader Of  Tomorrow Award: Invaluable Contributions to the Community
Deans Award

Where are some of the places you have traveled and your reasoning for going?

I traveled to Denmark for an extended study which was my first time being in Europe and a great experience! I enjoyed learning about the Scandinavian Welfare state and conducted research on the integration of Muslim immigrant women in Denmark.

In the Fall 2012, I also went to Australia for a semester. I studied at the University of Wollongong (1 hr away from Sydney) taking three classes with Australian students and another class with the Colgate director, Professor Paul Pinet. Studying abroad in Australia is one of the highlights of my Colgate career as it forced me to come out of my comfort zone and grow emotionally, physically, mentally and most importantly, academically.

I also participated in an inter-faith trip with the COVE to Germany.

What is one class that has shaped your opinion?

One class that shaped my opinion is ENST 309: Landscapes and Longing, which I took while in Australia. Spending time with the aboriginal people was a very eye-opening experience. In Western culture, we tend to be more individualistic. However, for the aboriginal people, they identify themselves as nature. Therefore, I think that if we somehow adopted or became aware of this philosophy, we would treat our environment with more care.

What is one piece of advice you would give to a third-year student?

I would advise any third year student to definitely take advantage of all the opportunities Colgate has to offer. Such opportunities include but are not limited to studying abroad. We have such a great program, and it is possible to go anywhere you want! At times, you may feel some discomfort; however, that is when you know that you are heading in the right direction.