Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

OUS Student Athlete: Abu Daramy ’20

By Nali Byrd '19 on September 27, 2016

Name: Abu Daramy

Class Year: 2020

Q1: What was the highlight of your OUS experience?

The highlight of my OUS experience was when we went on a trip to the amusement park, Darien Lake. I had a lot of fun there and had a chance to bond with the other OUS kids more.

Q2:  What activities are you involved in on campus?

As of right now, the football team is the only thing I’m affiliated with. But after the season is over, I’m looking to try out for the dance group “Melanated”.
Abu at the Colgate field

Q3: What is the most challenging thing about being a student-athlete?

The most challenging part of being a student-athlete is trying to balance out school and sports. Because of the time-constraint, it’s hard to try and do the same amount of work as students who don’t play sports. There is lifting, meetings, and practices throughout the day that are mandatory, and then there is traveling for games. It is possible and has been done by many, but it is still very difficult.

Q4: Why do you love football?

This might sound very cliché, but I didn’t go out searching for a sport to play. Football found me at a very young age. All of my cousins played and my brother played. Ever since I was first introduced to the game at the age of 5, I couldn’t stay away from it. Being on a football field lets me let go of all of my worries in the world and makes me feel like I’m in a whole different world with my teammates whether in practice or a game. And it also gives me the opportunity to hit someone as hard as I can without getting in trouble for it.