Home - Alumni - Giving to Colgate - Leadership and Recognition - Presidents' Club - Presidents' Club Updates
Presidents' Club Updates

Wanted: Internships for Colgate students

By Contributing Writer on December 4, 2015
Internships for Colgate students

Thanks to the generosity of Presidents’ Club members, Colgate students gain experience through summer internships.

As the end of the fall semester approaches, many Colgate students are in the midst of the exciting, yet daunting, job and internship search process. Summer internship experiences are increasingly crucial for today’s undergraduate students as they prepare for life post-graduation and the rigors of the competitive job market. Internships provide invaluable opportunities for career exploration and skill development outside of the classroom and prepare students to translate their liberal arts education to the professional world.

With the strength of Colgate’s dedicated Presidents’ Club network comes important support from alumni and parents in a variety of industries who want to help launch current undergraduates on their paths to success. If you are able to offer winter or summer internship opportunities at your company, please contact Shauna Hirshfield, career services internship coordinator, at shirshfield@colgate.edu.

Colgate’s Center for Career Services also offers generous summer funding for students pursuing low-paid or unpaid internships, both in the United States and abroad. Last year, career services offered funding to 211 students — a total of $725,390.

Senior Alyse Kalish, an English major from Boulder, Colo., is especially grateful for the many opportunities that summer funding from Colgate has provided her as she prepares for a career in publishing and in marketing. “Living in Colorado made it more difficult for me to find the right opportunities, but summer funding enabled me to secure two part-time internships in both fields in New York City,” Kalish said. “My summer experience not only improved my writing voice and skill set in editing and design, but allowed me to publish my writing on my company’s website and begin to build a portfolio. And because of this opportunity, I was able to attain a competitive fall internship working at one of my dream companies, The Muse, as a writer and editorial intern.”