Home - Academics - Departments and Programs - Romance Languages and Literatures - Romance Languages and Literatures
Romance Languages and Literatures

Graphic Novelist Edgardo Miranda-Rodríguez (Colgate ‘93) cites work done in Spanish at Colgate

By Department of Romance Languages and Literatures on January 23, 2017

Edgardo Miranda-Rodríguez

As reported in the Autumn 2016 Colgate Scene (pp. 34-39), celebrated Colgate alumnus Edgardo Miranda-Rodríguez (’93), creator of Afro-Latin superheroine La Borinqueña, notes the influence of classwork done at Colgate.  The Scene piece reads:  “‘Colgate gave me the opportunity to expand my awareness and knowledge of my own culture,’ he said.  He gained a better understanding of Latin America’s history and became fluent in Spanish thanks to the prodding of Professor Lourdes Rojas-Paiewonsky.  ‘Studying under her helped me to become the bilingual orator that I am today’—a boon for doing recent media interviews in both languages…”

(Photo: ©2017, Kyung Jeon-Miranda)