-Julia Feikens ’18
It’s that time of year: scary movies, lots of candy, and fun costumes for everyone! However, while Halloween is considered one of the most popular holidays in America, there’s a way to make it even better…make it green!
Halloween is a great time to start making easy, sustainable decisions, especially in regards to your costume choice. One of the major concerns with Halloween is the abundance of one-time only disposable costumes. Instead, try these fun tips to make your costuming less impactful on the environment (and your wallet).
- Use what you own
- Rent a costume at a much cheaper price than buying it
- Swap costumes with friends
- Buy re-wearable, used, or vintage items
- Use natural materials
In addition, make sure to avoid harmful or offensive costumes, so that everyone can enjoy the night together.
While celebrating, here are some tips to keep on Halloween-ing sustainably:
- When possible, use reusable items, such as cups and plates, and avoid disposable or paper products.
- Recycle what you can, but make sure to quickly wash out anything besides water to ensure no contamination enters recycling bins.
- Avoid smashing pumpkins and leaving waste in public spaces.
- Have a fun night!