Home - Admission & Financial Aid - Apply - Scholars Programs - Benton Scholars - Benton Scholars News
Benton Scholars News

Benton Bio- Anna Proios

By bentonscholars on April 4, 2013

Anna Proios ‘16
Major: International Relations
Hometown: New York, New York
High School: The Loyola School

Proios pic

At Loyola, I interned at the International Peace Institute (IPI), a think tank that works closely with the UN on the prevention and settlement of global conflict. My internship at IPI exposed me to the threats to global security and made me realize the importance of comprehending the issues of a globalized world––which, ironically enough, is the mission of the Benton Scholar program. Because of this, I decided to pursue International Relations and study Islam at college.

At Colgate, I am a senator for the freshman class, a member of the many religious and political groups here on campus, and an active member of the Speaking Union’s Debate Society. As a first-year, I debated on issues of public policy, economics, and morality among the world’s greatest debaters at tournaments held in Oxford University, Berlin, California, and at our very own Colgate! This summer, I will be assisting Professors Aisha Musa (Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies) and Aaron Spevack (Religion) with their research on Islam. We will be investigating the evolution and development of the field of Islamic Studies in the Western academy and transcribing a 19th century Egyptian manuscript for its first publication ever. In the future, I hope to pursue advanced degrees in Government and work to implement order and peace in the theater of conflict that is the Middle East. I’m so excited to meet the new Bentons!