Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

Elena Havas ’15: The voice behind Her Campus Colgate blog

By Christelle Boursiquot '15 on December 17, 2013
Elena Havas '15 is the voice behind Colgate's Her Campus blog.

Elena Havas ’15

In an age where social media is thriving, individuals are constantly seeking new and versatile ways in which to have their voices heard, OUS Scholar Elena Havas ’15 is one such voice. Havas is the Editor in Chief of the Colgate chapter of the Her Campus Blog, and she states that she and her dynamic team of  editors, photographers, and social media advisers are constantly on the look out for the next big scoop on campus to cover. Her Campus is an exciting online editorial geared specifically towards collegiate women that supplies weekly content for topics such as Campus News, Blogs, Campus Celebrity, Campus Cutie, Event Polls, and much more.

When asked, Havas revealed the source of her love for writing:

“As a creative writing major I wanted to join something on campus where I could write in my own voice. I joined Her Campus Colgate last Spring and started writing features for the blog and news sections every single week. I loved being able to share my unfiltered opinions. My love for writing comes from an infatuation with storytelling, both fiction and non-fiction. Writing is an ongoing battle between the author and the reader. When I write, I work to draw the reader in from the first sentence, grappling with them to keep going until the end.”

And when asked about the importance of writing in her life and the lives of students in general, Havas explained that writing can be multifaceted, serving a variety of functions.

“Accepting the role as Editor in Chief of Her Campus has taken a lot of dedication and responsibility. I am the only person who is able to publish content to the site. I have to look over every single piece, and some weeks I write several features if someone misses an article or no one signs up to write. I also organize and distribute weekly content and publicity for the site.

Occasionally, I joke around and say that I am Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. Granted, Her Campus Colgate is nowhere near the caliber of Vogue, but I take it just as seriously. Writing is the foundation of academia. Colgate students, regardless of their major, are constantly writing.

I think OUS does an amazing job making sure you know this from day one. My OUS experience helped me hone crucial academic writing skills. OUS professors emphasized the importance of grammar, which was essential for my college career. I think everyone can benefit from the practice of writing. It is a consistent learning process. Whether you are writing a research paper or a poem, you learn something new about your personal style every time.

I think Her Campus is such an important outlet because it allows students, specifically women, to write freely in both tone and content. It is so comforting to know that you can say almost anything you want because your target audience is made of people who are a part of your world, your campus culture. That small connection lets us into a world of writing that we don’t usually get to explore during college.

I think it is extremely important to promote free and unrestricted writing outlets for young adults on every college campus. Writing is an imperative skill for any and all professions, the more you engage in it, the more you benefit.”

Elena Havas ’15  is an English major with an emphasis in creative writing and a film and media studies minor. In addition to being Editor in Chief of Her Campus, she is also the Event Chair for Kappa Kappa Gamma, a recorder for the Colgate Raiders Football Team, and a volunteer with The Hamilton Manor, Creative Writing Initiative, and Pet Pals.

She strongly encourages students to let their voices be heard: “Her Campus Colgate is always looking for new people to join the team! If you are interested in getting involved, please e-mail EHavas@colgate.edu or “like” Her Campus Colgate on Facebook and “follow” Her Campus on Twitter @HCColgate for updates on all Her Campus Colgate content.”

1 Comment

• jill Bunch said:

Thanks for the content. Bringing the best of creative writing out of you in a college environment is great because it would help discover what lent you could go to succeed