Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

Alicia Chitrani Gopi’14: Life Offers Unexpected Surprises

By Timmera Whaley'15 on July 11, 2014

Alicia'15 in London

Hometown: Schenectady, New York

Major: Sociology and Anthropology

Minor: Writing and Rhetoric 

How did you hear about Colgate?
I first heard of Colgate University from my guidance counselors during my senior year in high school. They advised me to apply through early decision. One day, I came home, and  there was a package from Colgate unexpectedly sitting on my bed unopened. My heart raced as I picked it up thinking about how this letter would affect my life. And so, here I am today. As I look back, it seems as though it all happened in the blink of an eye, but it happened for a reason.

How has OUS impacted your Colgate experience?
OUS introduced me to the rigor of coursework and variety of classes that Colgate has to offer. Without OUS, my freshman year would have also been more difficult for me to adjust to because of the social atmosphere at Colgate. I hope to see OUS continue to improve and make the transition easier for the incoming classes. The consistent support from OUS throughout the four years only continued to increase, and I will forever be grateful to OUS and all they have done for me.

Which professor has positively influenced your Colgate experience the most?
Freshman year, I took a class with Professor Suzanne Spring in the Writing and Rhetoric department. She is one of the most influential people I have met at Colgate because she has helped me grow academically and personally over four years. When I had rough days, she would have a solution that would automatically make me feel better. She helped me through the times when I thought I could not make it through classes, when I sucked at my time management, and when it all seemed too overwhelming. It is also because of taking classes with Professor Spring that I ended up really enjoying the classes and thus became a Writing and Rhetoric Minor.

What has been your greatest experience abroad?
I studied abroad the fall semester of my junior year in London with the English study group led by Professor Adrian Giurgea and wife, Simona Giurgea. When I was abroad, I traveled to Dublin, Ireland, and Venice, Italy. It was a phenomenal experience because I always wanted to go to London since I was a little kid. I enjoyed travelling in London and visiting museums. It gave me insight on what it would feel like to live on my own in a big city, which is definitely something I can do now. One of the perks of being on my own in the city was getting lost and having to find my way back which is something I love to do. It is someplace I hope to visit again one day, especially in the summer time.