Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

Gaining New Perspectives: OUS Scholars’ Summer Research Projects

By Frank Kuan on July 23, 2014
Natasha_Torres_Poster Session_071714_Copy_opt

Natasha Torres ’15, center, discussed her research project with fellow OUS scholars at the summer research poster session on July 17, 2014. (Photo by Tom Balonek)

OUS scholars, 17 in all, participated in the undergraduate summer research program working in concert with noted faculty members in all divisions at Colgate University. On Thursday, July 17, they showed off their work at a poster session in the Cunniff Commons at the Ho Science Center Atrium. Their research topics included the effect of nutrition labeling on alcohol consumption, zebra fish regeneration specifically in the lateral line system, nuclear export rate, and a qualitative study on the experiences of students of color studying abroad through a predominantly white institution.

At the poster session, OUS scholars were poised at explaining their research in relatable terms to anyone stopping by their stations. The energy in the room was positive, and with each conversation, the OUS scholars gained more confidence in talking about their projects. As Federico Elizondo ’17 put it, “Perhaps one of the most satisfying parts of conducting research is presenting it. From developing the research question to describing the research methods, the poster presentation allowed me to recreate the various stages of my summer experience.”

Yogita Telhu ’17 concurred: “At first I was nervous about presenting my experiment to folks that wouldn’t completely understand what I was talking about; however, after explaining my experiments and discussing my results I found it was easy to speak about a topic I am interested in. I found that the excitement from others encouraged me to speak about my work in the lab. It was a rewarding feeling to hear professors and fellow students share that they understood what I was saying despite not knowing the science behind my research.”

Such sentiment was also echoed by William Lam ’16: “It was a bit difficult explaining things in a short and concise manner, but it got easier as more people stopped by. People were interested, and talking about my project was a great way of reminding me what I was doing and how each day in the lab was one step closer towards understanding nuclear export.”

Natasha Torres ’15, who was recognized with one of the three awards for outstanding research at the poster session, summed it up well: “Participating in the poster session was a great experience, especially because I was able to share my research with a variety of students and faculty I’ve never interacted with. Prior to the poster session, I felt nervous and almost vulnerable having my work displayed. However, all the feedback and conversations I shared with everyone made me realize how important the implications of my research are in terms of Colgate’s community and higher education. Being recognized was the icing on the cake; I wasn’t expecting it. I’m just glad I had the support of my advisors, Professor Stern and Professor Ríos, peers like Melissa Melendez ’15, and the wonderful Department of Educational Studies. I couldn’t have done it without them.”