Home - Admission & Financial Aid - Apply - Scholars Programs - Benton Scholars - Benton Scholars News
Benton Scholars News

Don’t cry for me, Argentina.

By Jerod Gibson-Faber '16 on May 20, 2013

Many of my friends and family members have told me that this opportunity to travel to Argentina after just one year of college is the opportunity of a lifetime.  I agree with them in that this trip is a great chance to experience something I might otherwise not be able to.  So, as a token of my gratitude, I’d like to give a huge shout out to Colgate and everyone working behind the scenes that made this possible.

That being said, I’m psyched.  I cannot wait to submerge myself into a totally new culture and way of life.  In the fall semester of 2012, I took a course titled “Global Perspectives on Emerging Issues,” in which I wrote my final paper on the economy of Argentina.  I argued that while there’s so much attention devoted to the present and future, a lot can be learned by looking to the past and discovering why and how certain policies failed.  It was quite interesting to read and learn about Argentina’s economic past — the role and programs initiated by Perón, the military, and Alfonsín — and how they shaped the economy of today.  I’m no expert on the subject, and, if possible, I’d like to follow up and learn more during my stay in Argentina.

What seems most tangible, though, is what I’ll learn about actually living in the country.  There will be new food, new people, a new language, new decisions to make, and a new way of living in general.  Experiencing these things, and having them with me for the rest of my life, is what I think I’m looking forward to most.

2 Comments

• nsimpson said:

Thanks for the shout out! I hope all of my hard work will pay off with an amazing trip!

• Prish Moran said:

Brilliant take on an assignment essay. Loved the personal thank you to the school – absolutely innocent thoughts that are right on. Good job. Interesting read and finally, an original essay from the heart. Thank you