Home - Center for Learning, Teaching, and Research - Office of Undergraduate Studies - Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates
Office of Undergraduate Studies News and Updates

Jia Bao Lei ’17: Abroad in Barcelona

By Nali Byrd '19 on November 18, 2015

Hometown: Berkeley, California

Major: English

What study group are you in?

I am in the London English study group.

What is your favorite part of being abroad?

One of my favorite parts about being abroad is that I got to visit my best friend, Claire, in Barcelona! I was able to go to Spain because we have three day weekends. She is half-Spanish, so she has been traveling to Madrid every other year growing up. It was so nice going to all the stores and places that she has been telling me about since freshman year of high school.

JB (left) and Claire (right) in Barcelona

What activities have you done in Barcelona?

I learned a lot about the Catalan independence movement and that abierta (open) is oberta in Catalan. During our shopping trip and walking around the city, Claire pointed out Antoni Gaudí’s constructions throughout the area. We went to the Museu Picasso that had many of Picasso’s early paintings on display. Neither of us were a fan of Picasso’s Pigeons collection. Then, we went to La Boqueria, where we split a special candy rope that you can only get in Spain before heading off to the beach. At the beach, there was a carnival going on, and we went on the Ferris wheel overlooking the city at night. I knew that as soon as I left, I would miss Barcelona and Claire terribly.