Home - Academics - Departments and Programs - German - The Colgate Freiburg Study Group
The Colgate Freiburg Study Group

History Repeating Itself?

By zach on April 17, 2014

Today I went to the Jüdisches and Holocaust Museums in Berlin. They were very interesting and at the same time incredibly depressing and terrifying that humans could commit  such atrocities. While in the museum I started to become angry as I read that many of these people who had supported and in some cases ordered or personally carried out the killing of Jews in WWII were not given any punishment. Sure most of the people at the top of the order chain had been brought to some form of justice but what about this entire country of people that decided this was ok. I know it’s not fair to judge in this way since I can’t say what I’d do in the situation. Many German’s were just afraid and the penalty for resisting the government was the ultimate price. So what can be taken from an incomprehensible amount of suffering caused by ignorance? The only answer I could come up with was an absolute rule that something like this should never be allowed to happen again. As I logged onto Facebook about 20 minutes ago I saw a notice for a news article on the side of my display Jews ordered to register in east Ukraine. It’s possible that this was not actually an act by the Russian government but if not then these people should be held responsible for impersonating Russian officials. Either way it’s difficult to express the feeling of pain this brings me and if this is an act of the Russian government the penalty should be serious. If one thing can be taken from the darkness of WWII and the Holocaust it should be that this ignorant ideology and behavior  can not be allowed to grow or take root at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/17/jews-ordered-to-register-in-east-ukraine/7816951/