Home - Distinctly Colgate - Global Perspective - Off-Campus Learning Blog
Off-Campus Learning Blog

Jazmyn McKoy ’17 on the completion of EuroSim 2016 in Antwerp, Belgium

By Jazmyn McKoy '17 on January 9, 2016
Antwerp, Belgium – site of EuroSim 2016

Antwerp, Belgium – site of EuroSim 2016

I cherish the bonds that I have formed with my fellow raiders and delegates from various schools. However, one of the most meaningful aspects of the conference to me is that our proposals will be presented to the European Union’s leaders. It is exciting and humbling to know that our work as students may have an impact in the refugee crisis. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in the solution to the crisis from a policy angle.

Here is a photo essay of my trip.

The conference commenced with a trip to the European Parliament in Brussels!

A staff member gave us a comprehensive overview of the Parliament.

This is the Plenary Chamber where member state representatives meet one week each month

I'm smiling because I'm excited to be inside of the European Parliament!

I’m smiling because I’m excited to be inside of the European Parliament!

I participated in the Sub-Committee on Human Rights as a Swedish representative (Lars Adaktusson) in the European People’s Party (EPP). The EPP successfully collaborated and compromised with the other parties in the Committee to write and pass amendments to the Dublin IV Regulations and the DROI report on the Valletta Summit.

Delegates gathered for a lovely dinner banquet at the Antwerp City Hall

We enjoyed a delicious meal catered by Het Rekreatief, a local company that began as a social employment project for people who are disadvantaged or have endured long-term unemployment.

The Antwerp City Hall yielded a beautiful view of Antwerp's 16th century Cathedral of our Lady!

The Antwerp City Hall yielded a beautiful view of Antwerp’s 16th century Cathedral of our Lady!

The beautiful paintings, sculptures, and interior architecture make the Cathedral an even more captivating historical structure.

I encourage students to apply for the extended study programs that Colgate offers because of the educational and personal growth that these programs foster. I am returning to campus this semester well informed about the processes and procedures within the European Parliament and the myriad factors that influence the refugee crisis. I have stretched my perspective of the world and expanded my social network with new and strengthened friendships with peers from Colgate and many regions around the world.

Tot ziens! (Goodbye!)

Jazmyn.